Frequently Asked Questions

If your question isn’t answered here, please contact us.


Which coating should I use?

The question of which coating is best to use is dependent upon a number of different factors such as end use application, substrate, equipment and skill of applicator and a range of other considerations. Refer to the “Ways to Use our Products” table for a guide of coatings suitable for different end uses. The technical bulletin “Coating System Performance” will also give you some guidance on things to consider when choosing the right coating for your job.

Where can I buy your products?

Visit our contact us page to find your local branch or distributor.

Do you have non yellowing coatings?

Mirotone has a range of low yellowing coatings including MIROBILD AC 3606 Low Yellowing, MIROTHANE PU 5577 Sun-Shield & MIROTEC WB 8060 Clear Coatings. Refer to the attached data sheets for full details.


How do I cover up scratches in my furniture?

Slight marring and scratches can usually be hidden with Sprayglow and MIROWAX 738 (See technical data sheets fopr application). For deeper scratches in a small area, the area first needs to be sanded and the repair edges feathered. Then  multiple coats of Spraylac can be applied extending the wet edge further with every coat to blend into the existing finish, after 24 hrs dry burnish with MIROWAX 738.

What coating can I use on guitars?

For small repairs Spraylac can be used but for larger areas and all over refinishing, specialist refinishing equipment is needed. In this situation one of Mirotone’s clear coatings such as MIROCAT, MIROBILD or  MIROTHANE can be used. If you are looking for a Nitrocellulose clear coating MIROLAC NC 3150 CTB can be used. When using any of the above coatings contact your friendly Technical Service Representative for more detailed information.

Should I use a single pack or a two pack?

This will depend upon your requirements e.g. end use application, health and safety requirements, etc.

Harsh in service enviroments like bathrooms, kitchen bench tops, commercial tabletops require durable coating systems like MIROTHANE PU 5555 Clear Topcoat or MIROTHANE PU 5650 Pigmented Topcoat, whereas occassional furniture such as wall units, TV units, wall and ceiling panels don’t have to be as hard wearing and so a single pack product may be suitable. Look at the Ideal application area under each product page to see if the coating is suitable for your end use.

What is the difference between different gloss levels?

Gloss is the reflectance of light from the cured film of the coating. The more the light reflects, the glossier the coating appears. Mirotone supplies coatings in a range of gloss levels including matt, satin, semi-gloss and full gloss. For more information about gloss levels refer the the technical bulletin “Gloss Levels”.

Compatible coatings?

All Mirotone data sheets recommend compatible products. Mirotone’s Easy Find Guide is also a quick reference guide that lists compatible products.

What can I use to recoat old furniture?

If recoating by brush use MIROTEC WB 8052 Clear Topcoat, if applying by spray use MIROCAT PC 3220 Clear Topcoat.

Why use a Polyurethane (PU) as opposed to an acid catalused (AC) coating system?

Polyurethane coatings have better chemical and water resistance properties and don’t white mark. Both require airfed masks and PPE and you can tailor a hardener package to use with polyurethanes that will enable fast drying.

How do I look after my furniture, kitchen once coated?

Use a microfibre cloth, mild detergent and never use harsh abrasive cleaners. For more information refer the the technical bulletin Caring for your quality furniture & Fixtures.

What is the difference between a dye stain and a pigment stain?

Dye stains are more transparent making them brighter in colour, they are usually sprayed on and left. Where as pigment stains are made up of natural pigments and produce a more “earthy” appearance, they are  wiped on and wiped off. Pigment stains are more light fast and reduce the risk of fading.

Health & Safety

Is the coating safe for childrens toys and cots?

Yes Mirotone has many coatings that are ideal for coating toys and nursery furniture. Refer to “Ways to Use Our Products” for further information.

How do I find the data sheet & MSDS?

Mirotone data sheets can be found on the website and the MSDS are available via a link from the website to the Chemwatch website.

What are VOC’s?

Refer to the Technical bulletin Volatile Organic Compounds for further information.

Are coatings dangerous once dry?

Refer to the Technical bulletin Volatile Organic Compounds for further information.

Does Mirotone have coatings that are Green Building Council Compliant?

Yes, MIROTEC WB 8022 Clear Sealer & MIROTEC WB 8060 Clear Topcoat both comply with the Green Building Council Australia: Green Star – Office Design v3 & Office As Built, Table IEQ-13.1 Maximum TVOC Content Limits for Paints, Varnishes and Protective Coatings.

Note that the criteria for VOC content in paint in IEQ-13 ’Volatile Organic Compounds’ refers only to paint applied on site (i.e. excludes paint applied in a spray booth at a factory).

Is there lead in the paint?

No, Mirotone’s range of clear and pigmented coatings for wood all comply with AS/NZS ISO 8124.3:2003 (Children’s Toy Safety Requirements) & BS/EN 71-3:1995 (Safety of Toys) Part 3. Specification for migration of certain elements.

The standards specify that the coatings do not contain the following prohibited materials: Heavy metals, antimony, arsenic, barium, cadmium, lead, mercury, nickel, selenium, strontium or metallic lead or alloys of lead, asbestos, ammonium nitrate or lithium hydroxide.

Note: Mirotone products developed for coating metal do not all comply with the standards above, for further information check with your Technical Representative.